Moving In & Out


Leasing or renting a place to live off-campus can be a very exciting and positive experience. However, it can also be confusing and overwhelming. The following links will provide you with information and resources to help you successfully navigate your off-campus experience from signing a lease to moving out and getting your security deposit back:

Move In and Move Out Checklist

Moving In & Out

Moving In

You should receive a receipt for whatever deposits are paid. Getting a deposit back will be much easier if you keep your canceled check or receipt. Try to never pay in cash, it is harder to trace payments.
If your landlord requires a deposit, which almost all do, he or she must give you a summary statement of all damages initially existing in your apartment, including all housing code violations. You must then review the list, include any additional discrepancies, sign it, and return the list to your landlord . Your landlord cannot ask for more than two months worth of rent for your security deposit per the Connecticut Housing Law.

Before you move into your rental, inspect it and record anything that is in need of repair, damaged, or hazardous with a check-in form. If you find something wrong with the rental and it is not on the check-in form, make a note of it. Ideally, your property manager should be present when you inspect the property. After the inspection is completed, ask your property manager to sign the checklist to ensure that you both agree to the outcome of the inspection. If the property manager is not available for move in, send them a copy of your findings. Furthermore, be sure you and your property manager are in agreement as to how the problems will be fixed. How these problems will be fixed should be listed in your lease.

It is best to videotape or photograph your inspection of your rental. The key is to take pictures of everything. It is also important that you can prove that the pictures or video that you took are dated accurately
Be sure to take the same precautions when you move out of your rental to help prove your case regarding the condition you left your place in if it is challenged by your property manager.
If you do not hear from your property manager within 30 days after you have moved out of the rental and have provided a forwarding address, (or if you gave a late notice of forwarding address, 15 days after you give him/her the address), or if you believe your security deposit is being unfairly withheld, contact Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services.

Taking photographs or videotapes of the premises is also a good idea, especially if there is serious damage. Photographs should be independently signed and dated by a commercial film developer and or in agreement with your landlord. If you have questions regarding the health and safety of your property be sure to contact the local Housing Authority through the Town Hall.


Moving Out

Steps before doing your final walkthrough with your Property Manager/Landlord:

  • Clean, clean, clean– make sure all trash is removed including in cupboards and refrigerator. Wipe down every room including the common area, bathroom(s), and your personal area. The cleaner the place, the easier the final inspections should be.
  • Address all damages. Do not hide a damage that might become a dispute later when you are already gone. If you know of a damage, address it in person and see what your options are.
  • Have all copies of all keys ready to be returned.
  • Talk to your roommates. It is easier if you are all leaving at the same day/time. If someone is moving out later, be sure they are keeping the place clean and ready for inspections.
  • You can offer a letter of thanks if it was a good experience. Chances are you will use them as a reference for future renal applications and it is best to leave on good terms.

If you are moving out of your rental, be sure to read about how to get your security deposit back and who to call about your utilities. You want to ensure that you do a final walkthrough with your landlord and go over any and all possible damages.

Take notes, pictures and if possible, a video. If there is a disagreement, talk to your landlord about how to best address the issue and refer back to any move in photos or documentation that you might have. It is important to go over everything with your landlord before handing in your keys. If your landlord does not offer this as an option, see if you can do a video walkthrough with them or have one of their team members meet with you to review everything.

You can provide your landlord with your new address, and refer to our Security Deposit page for any questions about getting your money back. Your lease should have all of the information you need regarding moving out dates and expectations.

Please contact a member from our staff for any additional questions via email at

Resources to Help with the Move

Truck Rentals


Storage Rentals

  • Andover Hillside Self Storage Center — 860-742-1644
  • Avery Dan Storage Center (Somers, CT) — 860-749-9356
  • Bolton Self Storage (Columbia, CT) — 860-228-8030
  • Chaplin Commons Storage (N. Windham, CT) — 860-456-0475
  • Columbia Rent-A-Space — 860-228-4734
  • Coventry Self Storage LLC — 860-742-5540
  • Daniel’ s Mini-Self Storage (Vernon, CT) — 860-871-9015
  • Easy Does It Self Storage (N. Franklin, CT) — 860-887-2400
  • Home Town Self Storage LLC (Pomfret, CT) — 860-963-1090
  • Mansfield Self & RV Storage — 860-423-5677
  • Murphy’s Storage Depot (N. Franklin, CT) — 860-642-1900
  • North River Road Self Storage (Tolland, CT) — 860-870-4504
  • North Windham Self Storage — 860-423-0497
  • Stock/N Lock, (S. Windham/Norwich, CT) — 860-456-8544
  • Stock and Lock, (Willington/Storrs, CT) — 860-429-9339
  • South Windham King Storage (Windham, CT ) 860- 423-1010
  • U-Haul (Columbia, CT) — 860-228-1886
  • U-Store-It (Manchester/ South & East Windsor Enfield/ Ellington/ Bloomfield, CT) — 860-649-698