Know the Law!

The UConn Student Code

The UConn Student Code was developed to help students uphold and build upon the values and traditions that have served to define and strengthen the UConn community over the course of its history. Membership in the UConn community is a privilege and an honor, and we all have a responsibility to uphold the trust and respect that is needed to maintain the free and diverse exchange of ideas and information that UConn is known for. The Student Code describes the process for holding students accountable if they breach the trust extended to them by the community.

If you have questions about the Code and the expectations of being a part of the UConn community, check out The Student Code for more information.

Good Samaritan policy (from

The expectation of the University of Connecticut is that all community members will advocate for the safety of others. Students are expected to seek immediate medical assistance for themselves or others when necessary. The act of calling for medical assistance for the aid of another person falls within the spirit of the University Creed. Accessing medical assistance for a person suffering from over-consumption of alcohol and/or drugs must be the first priority over any other consideration.

A student’s seeking of medical assistance will be considered a favorable factor by Community Standards in an effort to promote responsible student behavior and respect for the health and welfare of all members of the University. Community Standards will consider whether a student sought medical assistance for a person in need and in most cases view the act of seeking medical assistance as good judgment as well as not deserving of sanctioning. This does not excuse or protect those who flagrantly or repeatedly violate the Responsibilities of Community Life: The Student Code. This Good Samaritan statement applies to straightforward cases of alcohol or drug over-consumption only. If other infractions occur including but not limited to, destruction to the University community, assault, or property damage, then this statement does not apply. To decrease the likelihood of future occurrences, follow-up evaluation for the involved parties will be conducted to determine appropriate measures to prevent future occurrences.

Off-Campus Jurisdiction                                            law

No matter where you are or what you do, as long as you are a student at UConn, The Student Code applies to you. However, if you live off-campus you are also directly responsible to your town.

Generally, if Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services or Community Standards is not aware of a violation of The Student Code, no action will be taken. However, there is a protocol in place for off-campus behavioral concerns. The first step in the process is always the police and town officials, who then may share information with the University, specifically Off-Campus and Commuter Student Services and/or Community Standards. For example, if you live off-campus and your neighbor is being loud after midnight and not cooperating with your request to quiet down, you should call the police to notify them of the situation immediately.


Party and Underage Consumption Laws

It is illegal in Mansfield and the State of Connecticut to provide alcohol to minors under 21 unless you are their spouse, parent or legal guardian.

Underage Consumption and Party Laws

Information about the Town of Mansfield Ordinance regarding alcohol possession and consumption in public places, hosting events or gatherings, and possession of alcohol by minors can be found here: Alcohol Ordinances

Connecticut State Law

Tenants and landlords are responsible for making “reasonable efforts” to ensure that minors on their property do not possess or drink alcohol. This means that if you knowingly throw a party at which minors are drinking or possessing alcohol you will have committed a legal infraction. The penalty for a first time offense is a fine of $146. All subsequent offenses can result in up to a $500 fine and/or 1 year imprisonment. (Refer to Public Act No. 06-112)

Any person convicted of giving or delivering liquor to a minor will face a penalty of up to 18 months in prison and/or a fine of $1500. (Sec. 30-86)

If you are under 21 and caught drinking or possessing alcohol in both public or private places, you can receive a fine of $186 for a first offense. All subsequent offenses carry a penalty of a fine of up to $500. There are a few exceptions to this rule:

If you are employed at a business that serves alcohol, you may apply to have a permit that allows you to serve, but not drink alcohol. You can have alcohol for medical reasons, but only if you have proof of your need.

You can possess, but not drink alcohol if you are with a parent/guardian/spouse that is 21 or older.

Finally, you can possess or use alcohol for religious reasons, but you should have proof of these reasons. (see Sec. 30-89b)

Mansfield Town Laws

Mansfield neighborhoods are NOT PARTY VENUES. Parties are disruptive if they do not conform to standards of the community. Parties held should be small, quiet, infrequent gatherings. Large, loud, frequent parties are a nuisance and can be reported to Police, Town and University Officials. Parties that can be heard in surrounding homes violate the nuisance ordinance.

Nuisance Ordinance: To discourage nuisance behavior, Town Council adopted the “Ordinance to Prevent Neighborhood Nuisances” on July 11, 2011. If a person’s misconduct disturbs the quiet enjoyment of private or public property of other residents or occupants of same or nearby buildings or structures, that person may be issued a written warning or assessed a fine of $250 for such activity.

Landlord of residential rentals will receive a copy of the notice of ordinance violation in instances when a tenant and/or tenant’s guest is involved in wrongdoing at the rental premises. In such event that nuisance activity occurs at the same residential rental more than twice in six months, three times in nine months or four times within one year, a fine of $250 for each additional instance of violation will be assessed against the Landlord. The individual offender will remain personally liable for their respective fine(s) incurred resulting from their transgression as well as may become subject to other additional legal consequences. The ordinance becomes effective August 8, 2011. Tickets will be issued by Police and Code Enforcement Officers.

For additional information regarding this Ordinance, contact the Department of Building & Housing Inspection office at 860-429-3324 or visit the Town website:

Special Police Services: If police need to respond to a party two or more times, the town can bill the host or landlord for the cost of police and emergency services. This includes labor costs, medical costs for injured town personnel and the cost to repair any town equipment.

Any minor who possesses opened or unopened containers containing alcohol will be fined $100 or complete a substance abuse awareness and prevention program. Each subsequent violation will result in an additional $100 fine. These fines or penalties are in addition to those imposed by state law.

Anyone who hosts a party at which a minor drinks or receives alcohol will be fined$100 or complete a substance abuse awareness and prevention program. Each subsequent violation will result in an additional$100 fine. These fines or penalties are in addition to those imposed by state law.

Open containers and public consumption of alcohol

You can’t drink or possess open containers of alcohol in public places such as streets, parks and parking lots. You can be fined $90 for each violation.

Fake IDs

Connecticut State Law

It is illegal to lie about your age while buying alcohol or to use a fake ID for the same reason. If you try to buy alcohol using either of these methods and are caught, you will be fined up to $500, imprisoned for 30 days, or both. (Sec. 30-88)

If you use a fake ID or someone else’s ID, you can face a 150 day suspension of your motor vehicle license. You will also be charged with forgery in the first degree.

If you try to buy alcohol and you are a suspected minor, you may be asked to fill out a statement verifying your age. If you lie on this statement, you can be fined up to $100. If you lie on future statements, you will receive a fine of up to $250 for each offense (see Sec. 30-86a).

If you try to buy alcohol and you are a suspected minor, you may be photographed and a photocopy of your license may be made. These documents can be used in court (see Sec. 30-86b).

Noise Ordinances

Connecticut State Law

In the State of Connecticut, each person has a right to an environment free from noise that may jeopardize his or her health, safety or welfare. The State has a more general definition of noise violations but allows each town or municipality to set up individual noise ordinances and enforcement policies. So no matter where you are, be aware that if you or your guests are excessively loud, expect to see blue and red flashing lights outside your house or apartment.

Mansfield Town Law

During the daytime (8AM-9PM Monday-Saturday, 10AM-9PM Sunday), noise levels on your property should not exceed 55 dBA. During the night (9PM-8AM Monday-Saturday morning, 9PM-10AM Saturday night through Sunday morning), noise levels on your property should not exceed 45 dBA. Normal conversation is rated at about 60 dBA, so be conscious about how loud noise from your yard is and how sound carries across property lines. You may receive a fine for exceeding these limits (see § 134-8. Enforcement; penalties for offenses). For more information regarding Mansfield Noise Ordinances visit here:  Noise Ordinances Mansfield


Mansfield Town Law

In Mansfield, it is prohibited to litter in public places and out of a vehicle. Private property owners and their tenants also have a responsibility to keep private premises litter-free. In certain cases, the town can legally enter private property to remove litter, and may charge the property owner for the cost of the removal.

Each time you litter or your yard has litter in it, you can be fined $90, even if you are a tenant. If you don’t pay this fine on time, you will receive an additional fine for each day you are late.

If you litter on your own property, you can be fined as if you were littering on public property. Also, don’t allow trash/litter in your yard to travel into the street or onto other public or private property. Even if the wind carries it, you will be held responsible as if you littered there.

Long story short, keep your trash in a can and make sure it gets collected or put in a dumpster. Drunk Driving

Connecticut State Law

Connecticut enforces a “Zero Tolerance” policy for underage drivers who operate a motor vehicle while under the influence. The penalties for minors convicted of a OUI (Operating Under the Influence) are as follows:

You are considered legally intoxicated if you are a minor and your BAC (blood alcohol content) is .02 or higher. The penalty for a first offense is up to six months in prison with 48 hours of community service, and/or a fine of $1000; you are also subject to a 90 day suspension of driver’s license. A second offense carries a penalty of a up to two years in prison with 120 days of community service, and/or a fine of up to $4000, subject to a 9 month suspension of driver’s license. A third offense has a penalty of up to three years in prison with 1 year of community service, and/or a fine of up to $8000; also subject to a two year suspension of driver’s license. (See Sec. 14-227g)

If you are over 21 and your BAC is .08 or higher, you are legally intoxicated. Furthermore, under Connecticut’s Implied Consent Law, as soon as you turn on a car, it counts as if you have given consent to take a test to determine your BAC.

If you are driving while intoxicated and are caught, your vehicle will be towed while you are taken by the police to the station, read your rights, and held in a police lock-up until you are bailed out. If you refuse to take a blood alcohol content (BAC) test, your license will be suspended for a minimum of 6 months.

You are guilty of drinking and driving if you are drinking alcohol in a car, whether it is in a parking lot for 10 or more cars, on a public or private road, on school property, or on a highway.

If a police officer finds that you are a minor with alcohol in your car, you can have your license revoked for up to 60 days.

WILLFUL VIOLATIONS: Per Conn.General Statue 8-12, a willful violations of a zoning ordinance are a criminal offense, for which an arrest can be made.

**Please refer to here for more information.**