Leasing or renting a place to live off-campus can be a very exciting and positive experience. However, it can also be confusing and overwhelming. The following links will provide you with information and resources to help you successfully navigate your off-campus experience from signing a lease to moving out and getting your security deposit back:
Moving In & Out
You should receive a receipt for whatever deposits are paid. Getting a deposit back will be much easier if you keep your canceled check or receipt. Try to never pay in cash, it is harder to trace payments.
If your landlord requires a deposit, which almost all do, he or she must give you a summary statement of all damages initially existing in your apartment, including all housing code violations. You must then review the list, include any additional discrepancies, sign it, and return the list to your landlord . Your landlord cannot ask for more than two months worth of rent for your security deposit per the Connecticut Housing Law.
Taking photographs or videotapes of the premises is also a good idea, especially if there is serious damage. Photographs should be independently signed and dated by a commercial film developer and or in agreement with your landlord. If you have questions regarding the health and safety of your property be sure to contact the local Housing Authority through the Town Hall.
Resources to Help with the Move
- Atlas Van Lines www.atlasvanlines.com
- Budget Truck Rental www.budgettruck.com
- Moving Rates www.moving-rates.com
- Penske Truck Rental www.pensketruckrental.com
- U-Haul Truck Rental www.uhaul.com
- Coventry Self Storage 2709 Boston Turnpike, Coventry, CT (860) 742-5540
- Mansfield Self and RV Storage 533 Stafford Road, Mansfield, CT (860) 423-5677
- North River Road Self Storage 35 North River Road, Tolland, CT (860) 870-4504
- Stock-N-Lock 89 River Road (Rt.32), Willington/Storrs, CT (860) 429-9339
- U-Haul Moving & Storage 29 Rt. 66 East, Columbia, CT (860) 228-1886
- South Windham King Storage 745 Windham Road, Windham, CT (860) 423-1010